Agonizing, stressful, painful, seemingly never ending etc. Just a few of the words that come to mind describing a process that was not enjoyable.
Factors making the task difficult:
- Living in the same house for 40 years. Plenty of time to accumulate stuff.
- Having a large attic and basement to store stuff
- Numerous hobbies that have come and gone. But not the stuff.
- Having to change from the retirement lifestyle of ‘whenever’ to actually having to meet some deadlines.
- Scheduling problems. Back in Dec. we had selected a unit that required a complete redo. Initial wait time was a couple of months. Way wrong – several months. Which, surprise, put the move between two of our foreign trips. The two trips combined for about 6 weeks further compressing the time for downsizing and moving.
We were a prime example of ‘well maybe we will
The first stage of downsizing required a dumpster. But this turned out to be inadequate so another trash pickup was required. This pickup occurred two days before signing off on the house! In fact, we were still removing stuff on the day we signed the final papers.
The final stage of downsizing is now taking place. Space restraints are making us rethink how important certain items are.
To defray some of the expense of the move we decided to move certain items ourselves especially some of the artwork and computers. This seemed reasonable since the new home was only 10 minutes from our current house. In retrospect a poor decision leading to
We are slowly getting settled. Half of the art is displayed and looks like there will be room for all of it. Most things have found a resting place but remembering the location of the ‘resting place’ remains a challenge.
There is one remaining space issue – my CD collection. My love of music over the years has turned me into a
Talking about beds we finally said goodbye to our water bed. The last remaining vestige of our youthful ‘rebellion’. We (Ellen) decided it was time for a ‘real’ bed. We have yet to decide on which bed to purchase so in the meantime we have been using a double bed air mattress which is actually rather comfortable but does not qualify as the ‘new’ bed (Ellen).
So the saga of moving continues. More to come.